Monday, February 22, 2010

What I've Learned from my Hispanic Church

One of the common refrains of my life has been leveraging my life for the kingdom of God.  That's why I live and that's why I am studying here at Trinity.  Another, seemingly random aspect, has been my affinity for and ability to speak the Spanish language.  I've visited Spanish speaking countries many times, majored in Spanish in undergrad and even spent extended time living in Mexico with a Mexican family, while studying at a language immersion school.  I've used Spanish to separate myself on scholarship applications and random opportunities, but have never seen it as the gift that it is...that is until recently.  I was having lunch with the national director of church planting for the Evangelical Free Church of America, and the topic of my fluency in Spanish came up.  His words were like a smack in the face.  He said, "You have no idea the gift you have for the kingdom."  I was taken aback.  I hadn't been seeing Spanish as a gift to leverage from the kingdom, like I have seen the rest of my life.
     Fast forward about a month, and I continued to put feel the Holy Spirit stirring in my heart to cultivate my Spanish ability.  With language, you either use it or lose it--and it had been over a year since I lived in Mexico.  Finally, after hearing the cafeteria workers speaking Spanish, I decided to contact a local pastor of a Hispanic church to visit.  Picking the closest EFCA Hispanic church to Trinity, I just showed up one Sunday.  As I walked in I thought, "I am crazy!  Who just walks randomly into a Spanish speaking church?"  Of course, I stuck out like a sore thumb, but it didn't take long to feel welcomed into the family.  Before the service, I talked with the pastor (who speaks mostly Spanish) and we talked about pastoral ministry.  He had great wisdom saying, "You must go to the people."  This was his way of saying, if you truly want to reach out to the marginalized, you need to go to where they are!  Spanish is a reality for our country, and in order to reach out to the most oppressed and needy, it often is needed. 
     After the service, I decided I didn't want to awkwardly stand in the lobby, so I just made my way to my car.  No sooner had I walked to my car, but one of the young women from the church ran up to car and said, "Um, we have coffee and donuts inside...won't you join us?  Don't leave!"  I was blown away by the hospitality.  So I parked my car, and went inside and met many new friends.  What a marked difference from most of our "Anglo" church culture and the personal space we expect and demand.
        To feel out of place and lost in a church service, complete with uncertainty of when to sit and stand during the service, I was reminded of how new people feel in our churches.  Next time I go to my English speaking church, I will be reminded of the hospitality of my Hispanic church and how I felt when I was welcomed.  I so often forget what it feels like to be new.  Let's remember the outcast and the newcomer this week...who knows how God will use our conversations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment